SAFETY RULES FOSTER A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL BUS RIDERS…
Our most important goal is to provide a safe and comfortable ride for students each and every day. Parents/Guardians play a significant role and we recognize and applaud their efforts working in partnership with us to reinforce safety on the school bus. Our goal is to educate our students about such rules, and we encourage parents/guardians to frequently remind and educate their children the importance of these rules.
AT THE BUS STOP:
- Arrive at the bus stop five minutes prior to the scheduled arrival time of the school bus.
- Always walk to the bus stop. Please do not run.
- Follow the safe route to the bus stop remaining on sidewalks and/or bike paths.
- When at the bus stop, wait in a safe location away from the street. Always respect the property of your neighbors.
- Never speak to or enter the vehicle of a stranger. Report any attempts by a stranger immediately to the bus driver.
- As the school bus arrives, watch for the red flashing lights and the stop arm to be extended before boarding the school bus. Keep an eye on the bus driver for direction. If you must cross the street, only cross once the driver has signaled it is safe to do so. Remember to always look left, right, and left again before crossing.
ON THE BUS:
- Go directly to your seat. Remain seated facing forward for the entire ride.
- Use your quiet voice when on the bus so the driver will not be distracted.
- Let the driver know about any concerns you may have on your bus.
- If you need to talk to the bus driver: wait for the bus to stop, raise your hand, and call the driver's name.
- Never throw things on or out of the bus.
- Never touch the emergency exits unless instructed to by the bus driver.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus
- Keep your hands to yourself and respect the space of others.
- Keep the aisles clear at all times.
- In the event of an emergency, listen closely to the driver and follow their instructions.
WHEN EXITING THE BUS:
- When exiting the school bus, please make sure you walk (not run) at least 10 or more steps away from the bus. Do not go near the wheels or under the school bus at any time.
- Make sure you can see the bus driver and that the bus driver can see you.
- Only cross in front of the school bus when the eight-way lights are flashing, the stop arm is out, all traffic has come to a complete stop and the bus driver has signaled you to cross. Never cross the street behind the school bus.
- Be careful and alert while crossing the street.
- Only enter and exit the bus at your assigned bus stop. A note of authorization from your parent/guardian and signed by a school official is required before a driver is authorized for a student to exit at an alternate location.
- In order to avoid any accidents, never return to the bus to retrieve items you might have left/forgotten. The driver may not see you come back and may begin moving the bus. Also, if you drop something near the bus, never attempt to retrieve it without speaking to the bus driver first. Contact the Transportation Center regarding items left on the bus.
We thank you for taking the time to speak with your children on the importance of safety. We wish your student a safe and successful school year. Please contact the Transportation Center at 630-636-2999 with any questions.