Internet EssentialsSM from Comcast
Internet Essentials from Comcast is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program. It provides low-cost broadband service for $9.95 a month; the option to purchase an Internet-ready computer for less than $150; and multiple options to access free digital literacy training in print, online, and in person.
Qualify for this service by applying for free or reduced-price meals with School District 308. Complete the online application at https://onlinemealapp.sd308.org/
In just three years, we have connected more than 1.4 million Americans, or over 350,000 low-income families, to the power of the Internet at home.
We have recently announced that we extended Internet Essentials indefinitely – beyond our three-year commitment – and we look forward to continuing to work with our thousands of school, community, and government partners, to bring Internet Essentials to many more low-income families in the communities we serve. Together, we have achieved a number of milestones:
We’ve reached more than 1.75 million people through Comcast’s local and national non-profit community partners, investing more than $200 million in cash and in-kind support to help fund digital literacy and readiness initiatives. From providing online and workforce development skills, to helping teens prepare for college entrance exams, our partnerships with Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Easter Seals, LIFT, and thousands of others, connect people to more opportunities in school, work and life.
- Broadcast nearly 4 million public service announcements, valued at more than $51 million.
- Provided nearly 30,000 subsidized computers at less than $150 each.
- Distributed nearly 37 million Internet Essentials brochures at no cost.
- Welcomed nearly 2.2 million visitors to the Internet Essentials websites in English and Spanish and the Online Learning Center.
- Fielded more than 2.3 million phone calls to our Internet Essentials call center.
- Offered Internet Essentials in more than 30,000 schools and 4,000 school districts, in 39 states and the District of Columbia.
Easier, Better, Faster— Since the program’s inception in August 2011, our program enhancements include:
- Streamlined enrollment process: Families whose children attend schools with 70% or more participation in the National School Lunch Program are instantly approved when they apply for Internet Essentials.
- Made more families eligible for the program: Any family with a school-aged student from Head Start through the 12th grade who is eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program may apply for Internet Essentials, including public, charter, parochial, private, cyberschool, and homeschooled students. Additionally, families with past due Comcast debt older than one year are now eligible for the program. Comcast will offer amnesty for that debt for the purpose of connecting to Internet Essentials, so long as the customer meets all the other eligibility criteria.
- Reflecting our diverse communities: English and Spanish-speaking families may call our dedicated in-language call centers, or apply online at InternetEssentials.com or InternetBasico.com. Materials for Internet Essentials are available in 12 languages beyond English and Spanish, such as Somali, Chinese, Korean, and Russian.
- Increased speeds twice in two years: We now offer up to 5 Mbps downstream, more than triple the speed offered at the beginning of the program.
- Learning anywhere, anytime: Comcast is committed to ensuring that learning not only happens in school and at home, but also continues in the community, at rec centers, libraries, and after-school programs. That’s why we created Internet Essentials Learning Zones through more than $1 million in grants to 15 communities in cities including, Chicago, Denver, Fresno, Miami, and Seattle. These networks of non-profit partners work together to offer public Internet access and family-focused digital literacy training.