English-Language Arts (K-5)
School District 308 adopted our primary resource ReadyGEN by Pearson for implementation in 2015-16. ReadyGEN provides an engaging and challenging program for our elementary students. It is an integrated reading and writing program that accelerates learning for all by presenting modeled reading experience with authentic text. Students engage in practice, build motivation, and improve their reading and writing stamina. To learn more about ReadyGEN visit: Pearson ReadyGEN
Each student has access to digital resources provided by ReadyGEN from anywhere there is a device and internet connection. To login:
- Visit google.drive.com. Students login using their login credentials given to them by their classroom teacher.
- Open the google apps in the upper right corner of the website.
- Scroll through the apps to the third section. You may need to click more to get to the section.
- Click the Pearson Easy Bridge App.
- A new window will open and you will be logged in to Realize.
Illinois English-Language Arts Learning Standards:
English-Language Arts (ELA) is composed of several interrated areas: reading, writing, listening, speaking, and vocabulary. Our ELA curriculum is aligned to the Illinois English-Language Arts Learning Standards. To learn more about these standards visit: Illinois State Board of Education English-Language Arts.
English-Language Arts Curriculum:
School District 308 Kindergarten through Fifth Grade Scope and Sequence:
The scope and sequence provides the framework for instruction aligned to the Illinois English-Language Arts Learning Standards. This document provides an overview of the skills to be taught and learned by the end of the grade level.
- Kindergarten Scope and Sequence
- First Grade Scope and Sequence
- Second Grade Scope and Sequence
- Third Grade Scope and Sequence
- Fourth Grade Scope and Sequence
- Fifth Grade Scope and Sequence
School District 308 Kindergarten through Fifth Grade Reading Lists:
ReadyGEN by Pearson consists of 6 units in grades K-2 and 4 units in grades 3-5. The links below provide the list of unit descriptions and anchor texts to be read over the course of the school year. Students will participate in numerous lessons to strengthen their development in reading, writing, listening and speaking, and vocabulary as outlined in the Illinois English-Language Arts Learning Standards.
- Kindergarten Units and Reading List
- First Grade Units and Reading List
- Second Grade Units and Reading List
- Third Grade Units and Reading List
- Fourth Grade Units and Reading List
- Fifth Grade Units and Reading List
School District 308 Kindergarten through Second Grade High Frequency Word Lists:
High frequency words are the words that appear most often in printed materials. These are words that often cannot be figured out by the use of picture clues, because they are more abstract in the English language. The high frequency words are provided through lists A-F. The focus at kindergarten is lists A and B, first grade is lists C and D, and second grade is lists E and F. Students will be encouraged to challenge themselves and move to the next list regardless of grade level. For instance, a first grader can be working on list E if he/she has mastered A-D. You can support your child at home by practicing the high frequency words using flash cards, and emphasizing them in your daily reading.
English-Language Arts State Assessment:
The Illinois English-Language Arts Learning Standards are assessed on an annual basis with the required state asessment Partnership for Assessment for College and Careers (PARCC) in grades three through eight. To learn more about PARCC visit: PARCC Assessment Parent Resources.