Grading, Reporting, MasteryConnect (K-5)
In Oswego School District 308, our primary purpose for grading and reporting is to communicate growth towards proficiency of targeted learning standards.
Elementary grading periods run on a trimester framework. Parents/guardians can monitor student progress at any time using the MasteryConnect Parent Portal. Accessing student progress will create the opportunity for you and your student to discuss the learning that is occurring in our classrooms. MasteryConnect can be a valuable tool to engage students, parents, and teachers in conversations around learning and expectations necessary to develop college and career readiness skills.
The trimester grading periods for the 2019-20 school year are as follows:
- Trimester One : August 14, 2019 – November 1, 2019
- Trimester Two: November 4, 2019 – February 14, 2020
- Trimester Three: February 18, 2020 – May 21, 2020
MasteryConnect is a system that keeps track of student understanding of the Illinois Learning Standards. Parents are able to access the Parent Portal of MasteryConnect to view their child's progress towards mastery of the learning standards. Please view the video below to learn more about the MasteryConnect Parent Portal. Contact your child's teacher if you have not received access to your MasteryConnect parent account.
Printable parent directions:
Parent videos about the Parent Portal:
Standards-Based Progress Reports:
Elementary students receive a Standards-Based Progress Report. Standards-based reporting is used to communicate how students perform on a set of clearly defined learning standards. The purpose for a standards-based progress report is to identify what a student knows or is able to do in relation to learning standards over the course of the grading period by identifying a student’s mastery level for each standard.
Mastery levels indicate the level of proficiency for each standard based on the most recent assessment of the standard. The expectation is for students to reach mastery on grade level standards by the end of the school year.
Levels of Mastery:
- Mastery (M): Demonstrates proficiency at this time; may require minimal or no support.
- Near Mastery (NM): Demonstrates progress towards proficiency at this time; may require some support.
- Emerging (E): Demonstrates limited proficiency at this time; requires frequent support.
Below are links to parent documents that you may find helpful.
Below are links to videos about standards-based reporting and Progress Reports that you may find helpful:
- Standards- based reporting overview (English)
- Standards- based reporting overview (Spanish)
- How to read a Progress Report (English)
- How to read a Progress Report (Spanish)
Updated October 2019