SD 308 Alumni
  • Panther Logo
    Wolves Logo

History and Tradition

Timeline

1852

After holding classes in a series of borrowed buildings, the Old Stone School is constructed at the northwest corner of Tyler and Monroe Streets in Oswego.


1867

Oswego Seminary becomes the first high school after residents vote to renovate the old courthouse building at the corner of where the current Village Green Park, Oswego Community Bank, and Oswego Post office are located.


1885

The Old Stone School is gutted by fire, and students are temporarily housed in the Oswego Seminary. Because the Old Stone School is also deteriorating, it is demolished at the end of the school year, and the Red Brick School is built on the same site for approximately $10,000. The building consists of four large classrooms to house both elementary and secondary students.


1887

Five students become the first graduates of the district.


1915

The school district buys the church about a block from the Red Brick School. The church becomes known as the Little White School.


1936

Voters decide to create the Oswego Community High School District.


1948

A modern high school with a cafeteria, allowing hot lunches to be served for the first time, is constructed at Franklin and Washington Streets in Oswego, currently District 308 Center.


1951

District student population: 590.


1961

Boulder Hill Elementary opens to handle the influx of students from the new subdivision. District student population: 1,768.


1964

The new Oswego High School opens on Route 71 across from East View. The former high school becomes Oswego Junior High.


1965

The Red Brick School is demolished and the Little White School is used as storage.


1967

Long Beach Elementary opens.


1971

District student population: 3,497.


1972

The Early Childhood Special Education program starts with one classroom at Long Beach Elementary.


1977

Thompson Junior High is constructed on Boulder Hill Pass and named after long-time music and band teacher Reeve R. Thompson. Oswego Junior High is renamed Traughber Junior High after long-time school superintendent Thomas L. Traughber.


1986

Early Bird/At Risk Preschool Program is launched.


1987

Voters approve a $14-million bond issue for additions and renovations to each of the district’s six buildings.


1991

Student population: 4,300.


1994

The Academically Talented (AT) program begins.


1997

Old Post Elementary opens.


1998

A $47.5-million referendum is passed to renovate existing buildings and construct two additional elementary schools.


2001

Wheatlands Elementary and Fox Chase Elementary open.


2002

Bednarcik Junior High and Homestead Elementary open in the Aurora area. Voters approve a $155- million referendum to build up to seven new schools, including a second high school.


2004

Oswego East High School (OEHS) and Lakewood Creek Elementary open. Early Childhood Special Education has 10 classrooms, an office, and a gross motor room housed at OEHS.


2005

Three new elementary schools—Prairie Point, Churchill, and Wolf’s Crossing—open. District student population: 12,000.


2006

Plank Junior High opens in Churchill subdivision and is named after former school superintendent Dr. Karl Plank. Voters approve a $450-million referendum to finance the construction of five additional schools as well as renovate and expand nine existing buildings.


2007

Grande Park Elementary and Brokaw Early Learning Center open.


2008

Traughber Junior High School opens a new building and is named after longtime superintendent Thomas Loyd Traughber. Southbury Elementary opens. The old Traughber Junior High becomes the District 308 Center.


2009

Both Hunt Club Elementary and Murphy Junior High open. (Murphy Junior High served as Opportunity School and G.O.A.L. Program school until 2012.) The junior high is named after Oswego native Robinson Barr Murphy, the youngest man ever to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.


2011

School District 308 celebrates the 50-year anniversary of the 1961 consolidation of High School District 300 and Elementary School District 8.


2012

School District 308 leadership balances $7.5 million budget through strategic fiduciary reductions, spending freezes, budget analysis, and programming audits.


2013

District student population: 17,163. Teachers with advanced degrees: 895.


Additional History Resources

  • Mascots

    Information and images for each school's mascot. Show your school spirit with these images.

    Comments (-1)
  • Little White School Museum

    Non-SD 308 Website that embodies the purpose and values of the Oswegoland Park District while executing the mission of the Oswegoland Heritage Association outlining the history of the Little White School in Oswego.

    Comments (-1)
Last Modified on May 18, 2022