Dear Prairie Point Families:
Welcome to the 2018 – 2019 school year! It is wonderful to return to my 3rd year as principal at Prairie Point Elementary School. August is such an exciting time in a school building. After many weeks of quiet hallways and empty classrooms, the school begins to buzz with energy as teachers start returning and setting up classrooms.
I always enjoy the anticipation at the start of the new year. While there are many aspects of the school year that stay the same from year to year, there are always a few new and exciting elements. This year, I am excited to share our 2018 – 2019 school theme: The Power of YET! This is an exciting theme because it aligns with the work that we are doing to assure that our students develop a growth mindset. At Prairie Point we help our students understand that when they have a growth mindset, they believe that abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Instead of saying “I don’t know this” we teach our students to say, “I don’t know this, yet.” I look forward to continuing to share this powerful message with our students!
As we gear up for another great school year, I hope that you join me in welcoming a few new staff members to the Prairie Point family:
Special Ed. Coordinator for Resource Andrew Derwin
Special Ed. Coordinator for DHH Katie Renz
5th Grade Teacher Jennifer Haupt
Gifted Education Teacher Lisa DeVol
Teaching Assistant for DHH Jessica Poggi
Early Childhood Teaching Assistant Diana Calvillo and Kathy Dove
Speech Pathologist Katelyn Dudzinski
Interpreters Madi Bluml, Julie Phalen and Tracy Duffing
Additionally, a few of our Prairie Point Staff members will be teaching a new grade level:
2nd Grade: Tania Ricken
4th Grade: Anne Grunt
At this time, I would also like to share some important August dates:
- Classroom Assignments will be posted on Home Access on August 8th after 4pm.
- Preview Night will be held on August 13th, from 5 – 7pm. We hope you can join us as we celebrate the beginning of a new school year. Preview Night is for students enrolled in a Prairie Point early childhood classrooms as well as for students and families in kindergarten – 5th grade. Please see the back of this letter for more information.
- The first day of school for kindergarten – 5th grade students is Wednesday, August 15th. The first day of school for early childhood students is Monday, August 20th.
- Curriculum Night will be held on Thursday, August 30th from 6:00 to 7:30pm.
- School pictures are scheduled for Friday, August 31st.
I am very excited for the new school year and look forward to seeing our returning families, as well as getting to know our new families. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Again, I look forward to seeing everyone in the next few weeks!
Dr. Jennifer Groves