Hello Shark Families!
We hope this newsletter finds you all doing well…and keeping warm! J Although it is cold outside, it is always a warm, sun shiny day here at Southbury. Before Winter break, our children worked really hard on the STAR tests to show how much they have learned so far this year. We are seeing lots of growth in both reading and math, and this is due to the commitment and dedication of our students, families, and staff. As we collaboratively look at the data and find children who might need some more support, our teachers will be sure to differentiate and provide the necessary assistance to help each child achieve at a higher level.
We have also been continuing our year-long author study on Eric Rohmann! Your child has read/been exposed to several books over the past few months such as My Friend Rabbit, Time Flies, The Cinder-Eyed Cats, A Kitten Tale, Bulldozer’s Big Day, Giant Squid, and more. Be sure to ask you child(ren) all about these extraordinary texts!!! Classes will continue to read new titles over the next few months as we learn more about this author.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our Annual Little Caesars Pizza Sale!!! At the time this blurb was written, we sold over $8,001--- WOOHOO!!! This means our proceeds that will come back directly to the school in order to help fund our One Author – One School Program will be over $2000!!! Each year, we need to raise around $10,000 in order to purchase a book for every child in the school and to bring the author in to meet us. Any support you give for this Southbury fundraiser is GREATLY appreciated!!! We want to make sure we continue to foster this love and excitement in ALL our children through amazing programs such as this one. (NOTE: Some parents have asked if they can send in a donation any time throughout the year ---ABSOLUTELY!!!!! All you need to do is send in your check or cash in an envelope marked One Author – One School Program. All checks should be made out to Southbury Elementary School.)
Winter is here!!! We encourage sending your child to school with a coat, hat, gloves, boots, and a scarf. The children will participate in outdoor recess as long as the wind chill is above 10 degrees. A doctor’s note is needed to keep a child in during cold weather.
Here are some things that are happening in the month of February:
- 2/1 Home and School Meeting, 6:30-7:30
- 2/2 Little Caesars Pizza Pick-up, 3:30-6:30 in the gym
- 2/5 Southbury Kindergarten Registration Day, Central Registration at District Administration Center
- 2/5 End of Second Trimester for Kindergarten
- 2/8 Southbury Culver’s Night with the Second-Grade Teachers
- 2/9 College and Career Day – wear your college/career colors and shirts
- 2/14 Valentine’s Parties, 2:30-3:30 (2:15 check-in for HSO-approved room party parents – Community Room – Please bring an ID)
- 2/16 School Improvement Day, 12:15 Dismissal for Kindergarten-5th Grades, No Preschool
- 2/19 No School, President’s Day
- 2/26-3/2 Staff Appreciation Week
We hope everyone has a wonderful February!!! GO SHARKS!