The English Learners (EL) Department supports the district’s mission in assuring EL students are educated to reach their highest potential. We recognize as a school community that we share the responsibility of ensuring that EL students develop linguistic and academic skills to become productive members of society. EL students participate in academically challenging programs that respect and build upon the unique cultural and linguistic attributes they bring to our learning community. We are committed to recruiting high quality and passionate EL licensed teachers who celebrate and value diversity, advocate for EL students and their families and stay current with research on best practices for EL instruction. We uphold high quality EL education through collaboration with parents, government, non-profit local, community agencies and organizations.
Our programs will:
- Educate EL students to the same standard of excellence as all students
- Function in cooperation with all educational activities
- Seek community input in order to benefit students, improve instruction and strengthen collaboration
- Embrace, respect and build upon the unique cultural and linguistic characteristics that students and families bring to our school community.
- Ensure that our school community is informed about effective pedagogy and research on second language acquisition
- Make a genuine effort to communicate with parents in a language they understand
- Comply with state and federal laws