Social Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills they need to:
- recognize and manage their emotions;
- demonstrate caring and concern for others;
- establish positive relationships;
- make responsible decisions; and
- handle challenging situations constructively
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) is embedded into the classroom so that students can learn, practice, and apply SEL skills in their daily lives. When SEL skills are taught and reinforced in a safe, caring, and inclusive climate for learning, student's experience improved mental wellness, increased school connectedness, positive behavior, and improved academic outcomes.