Dr. Sparlin's Message
On behalf of our board of education, teachers, administrators, and staff, welcome to Oswego Community Unit School District 308! We are proud that District 308 remains one of the most outstanding public school systems in the state of Illinois. Our district has experienced wonderful success throughout the years by demonstrating excellent academic achievement as well as an incredible offering of extracurricular programs.
School District 308 is the seventh largest public school system in our state, with an enrollment of more than 18,000 students in 22 schools, serving pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and offering alternative education programs and a transition center. District 308 covers 68.8 square miles, and serves all of Oswego, as well as portions of Aurora, Joliet, Montgomery, Plainfield, and Yorkville. We are the largest employer in Kendall County, with a total staff of over 2,300 individuals.
In District 308, we are continuously striving for improvement in our programs and services. We are a place where all students will grow and learn. Our goal is to provide each student with a comprehensive educational experience to ensure they are ready to compete nationally and internationally by the time their education is complete.
This year our district will be working on several important priorities and initiatives:
- Prioritizing the district budget to meet the needs of students while maintaining fiscal solvency
- Complete a comprehensive district school safety and security plan to be used as a resource for prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response/recovery planning and training to keep students safe
- Ensuring accountability at every level to meet the district's mission
- Engaging students in pathways leading to college, career, and community readiness
- Becoming a Trauma Informed District supporting social-emotional learning and restorative justice
- Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts ensuring advantages of education are available to all students
- Develop an intentional alignment between curriculum, instruction, and technology
- Align board policies with the mission of the district and the actions of continuous improvement
Leading a large, comprehensive educational system is a complex endeavor. I appreciate and acknowledge the critical role that the Board of Education as well as our families play in making our district the best it can be. Working together, I am certain we will achieve our mission to educate all students to reach their highest potential.
School District 308 is a special place that has enjoyed much success. I encourage you to find out more about our district and all that it has to offer to our students and our community, and to stay connected with us through our website, app, and social media outlets.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the district.
Dr. John W. Sparlin
Superintendent of Schools