EPEC 308 October Meeting & Parents as Advocates Workshop
Posted by Mary Geraghty on 10/3/2016
Greetings Parents and Guardians,
As parents, we know how challenging it can be to guide and coach our children along the way, especially during the various hormonal stages in difficult early teens or navigating them through the tough stages of development.
As a father of a Jr. High 6th grade special needs daughter, I must admit, sometimes I feel clueless as to how to help her even though deep inside I'm scrambling for ways to find hope to address her pain. Well, we here at School District 308 EPEC board of Special Education PTO group have met and brainstormed to put together a solid team of Key Note speakers to arm us as parents with various tools we need to guide our child with special needs.
We invite you, moms and dads, to join us this school year for some parent resources from these speakers who will travel into our district to Empower, Engage and Employ us as parents of a special needs child through their academic journey this 2016/2017 school year.
2016 - 2017 EPEC Calendar of Events
- Wednesday, October 12th: Parents as Advocates with Dr. Pepi M. Silverman, M.Ed., PhD
- Friday, November 11th: Ten Positive Behavior Interventions that Really Work with Bev Johns
- Tuesday, November 15th : IEP “Bootcamp” (English & Spanish) with Melanie Grant and Julueta Pasko **No General Membership
- Wednesday, January 11th: Transitions with Melanie Grant with Equip for Equality
- Wednesday, March 8th: Screening of BEING YOU & Discussions
- Wednesday, May 10th: Family Support
General Membership Meeting 6:30 pm - 7:00 pm (except November 15th - there will be no general membership meeting that evening)
Informational Night - 7:00 pm -8:30 pm
Location: East View Kindergarten Center - Cafeteria
Dr. Pepi M. Silverman, M.Ed., PhD with the Educational Advocacy and Consulting —Naperville will be in attendance at the meetings to provide parents and caregivers additional information and resources.
Vice President, Communication for EPEC (Exceptional Parents for Exceptional Children) ts.